Quantcast

Board index : THE LOUNGE : Inner Game Essentials

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Inner Game books
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 am 
Jung

So I haven't seen a topic posted about potential books that can help change men's lives (forgive me if I'm wrong.) I think we can all benefit from this.

We have an article on the blog about it with a few, but I figured we should start a thread where guys can post up any and all books that can help better men's inner game and help us grow.

(Post a brief description about them too and why you think it'd help)

Here's the article with the 5 books: http://www.attractioninstitute.org/must ... -your-life

I'll get the ball rolling.

Sex God Method by Daniel Rose
- AMAZING ebook on how to become better at sex with women (psychological aspects over physical) and a great method that he's come up with to remember it all and to improve in different aspects. A must read.

Seduction Community SUCKS (available here at AI)
- Shows why the seduction community can never make you naturally attractive with women through the use of techniques, tricks, and manipulative methods. Lays out all the claims the seduction community makes and disproves them one by one.

Endgame (available here at AI)
- Shows the pathway towards becoming a naturally attractive man and the steps one needs to take.

Tribes by Seth Godin
- Tells WHY the world needs leaders, especially today, and why YOU should become one.

Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? by Seth Godin
- "In bestsellers such as Purple Cow and Tribes, Seth Godin taught readers how to make remarkable products and spread powerful ideas. But this book is about you-your choices, your future, and your potential to make a huge difference in whatever field you choose.

There used to be two teams in every workplace: management and labor. Now there's a third team, the linchpins. These people figure out what to do when there's no rule book. They delight and challenge their customers and peers. They love their work, pour their best selves into it, and turn each day into a kind of art."

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- Biography of Steve Jobs about his difficult journey to the top, and his life lived with integrity and conviction.

The Eye of the I by David Hawkins
- The follow-up to Power vs. Force (explained in the article link above). "The scope of this work is immense. It includes not only a detailed, subjective report of very advanced states of spiritual consciousness traditionally called enlightenment, but, for the first time, correlates and recontextualizes spiritual information in such a manner as to make it comprehensible to reason and the intellect."

Transcending the Levels of Consciousness by David Hawkins
- "Transcending the Levels of Consciousness explores the ego's expressions and inherent limitations and gives detailed explanations and instructions on how to transcend them. It expands the understanding of the levels of consciousness as presented in the now widely-known Map of Consciousness. This book focuses on the individual and studies the experiential subjective blocks to the advancement of consciousness that leads to progressive spiritual awareness and on to higher levels of consciousness preparatory to advanced states such as Enlightenment itself. By analyzing the various obstacles and levels to be transcended, certain principles that support spiritual evolution are self-revealing. This book is therefore a practical manual rather than a comprehensive analysis."

I'll post more later. Keep 'em coming guys! :D

Post subject: Re: Inner Game books
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 am 
Be Powerful Powerhouse

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- For me, this book just blowed my mind by making me aware of the distinction between me and my mind. I can only recommend half the book, cause I only read till the first half though. It was just like . . . . . . ...WOW. It's like it disconected me from the matrix of my mind and into the 'real' world. Someone in a skype call talked about how the sequel, A New Earth is like TPoN but more concise, streamlined, an improved version; I haven't read more than the first few pages but it feels like more of the same, in a smaller and more readable package- which is great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 am 
Dr. Phil

Models by Mark Manson
Basically a book that covers everything from inner game to outer game to "how should I dress?". Major breakthrough for me. Really puts you in a place of action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 am 
Jung

Nice, I forgot about The Power of Now, and i'll have to check Models out.

Here are a few other ones

http://visualimpactmusclebuilding.com/
- A complete workout guide for men that involves a three phase program backed by science that's designed for you to bulk up and then to define your body. Basically teaches you the principles that mainstream lifting advice gets wrong on how to design an aesthetically pleasing body. Comes with interval cardio workouts too. I personally own this ebook and it's AMAZING. Comes with over 200+ exercises with very accurate descriptions and pictures of correct technique. I've been lifting for 5 years before this book and it really clarified a whole bunch of stuff for me, even with my experience.

Great book for beginners and experienced lifters alike. For $47 this workout guide is a must have.

http://visualimpactforwomen.com/
- Here's his workout program he recently developed for women within the past year. He developed it mainly due to the lack of workout advice for women within the mainstream media. Have a female friend or significant other that's apprehensive about lifting to achieve a better physique for fear of becoming too muscular and veiny? FEAR NO MORE, this program will fix that easily :D

Comes with multiple in depth cardio strategies to torch fat and get in shape.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/
- Here's the guy's site who wrote these books. Has a plethora of information on lifting +. He's the real deal and I haven't found anyone better than him on the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:40 am 
Jung

Courage by Osho
- "Courage is not the absence of fear, says Osho. It is, rather, the total presence of fear, with the courage to face it. This book provides a bird's-eye view of the whole terrain-where fears originate, how to understand them, and how to find the courage to face them. In the process, Osho proposes that whenever we are faced with uncertainty and change in our lives, it is actually a cause for celebration. Instead of trying to hang on to the familiar and the known, we can learn to enjoy these situations as opportunities for adventure and for deepening our understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

The book begins with an in-depth exploration of the meaning of courage and how it is expressed in the everyday life of the individual. Unlike books that focus on heroic acts of courage in exceptional circumstances, the focus here is on developing the inner courage that enables us to lead authentic and fulfilling lives on a day-to-day basis. This is the courage to change when change is needed, the courage to stand up for our own truth, even against the opinions of others, and the courage to embrace the unknown in spite of our fears-in our relationships, in our careers, or in the ongoing journey of understanding who we are and why we are here."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 am 
Get Real Graduate

Nice post!

Thanks you for sharing your experience. You're saving our time, specially for those who have recently started like me.

When i finish with Endgame, i will start with "The power of now". I have seen some interviews with Echart Tolle and i want to read his book.

Good night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:45 am 
Jung

Tao Te Ching
- "Written by Lao Tsu in the sixth century BC is a simple, quiet book that reflects upon our true nature and our behavior. Broken up into 81 'chapters' or short poems, it comprises a mere 5,000 words. Every other sentence is a memorable quote, and one can read it in an hour and study it for a lifetime."

King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine by Robert Moore & Douglas Gillette

- "The corporate "yes man," the wife-beater, the hot-shot male junior executive and the emotionally distant father are all boys pretending to be men, observe the authors of this liberating guide to self-transformation. Writing within a Jungian framework, they perceive symptoms of "Boycaps per book psychology" all around us--in men's abusive behaviors, passivity and inability to act creatively. To help males become more nurturing and mature, Moore and Gillette identify four archetypes of masculine energies from myth and literature: the Lover, brimming with vitality and sensitivity; the Magician, guider of the processes of inner and outer transformation; the selfless and wise King identified with Adam or primordial man; and the Warrior, whose energies often go awry in destructive activity. Dream analysis, meditation, Jungian "active imagination" and ritual processes are among the tools set forth in a clear, concise map to territories of masculine selfhood. Moore is a professor of psychology and religion at Chicago's Theological Seminary, Gillette is cofounder of the Chicago-based Institute for World Spirituality."

The Holographic Universe: The Revolutionary Theory of Reality by Michael Talbot
- "Nearly everyone is familiar with holograms—three-dimensional images projected into space with the aid of a laser. Two of the world's most eminent thinkers believe that the universe itself may be a giant hologram, quite literally a kind of image or construct created, at least in part, by the human mind. University of London physicist David Bohm, a protÉgÉ of Einstein and one of the world's most respected quantum physicists, and Stanford neurophysiologist Karl Pribram, an architect of our modern understanding of the brain, have developed a remarkable new way of looking at the universe. Their theory explains not only many of the unsolved puzzles of physics but also such mysterious occurrences as telepathy, out-of-body and near-death experiences, "lucid" dreams, and even religious and mystical experiences such as feelings of cosmic unity and miraculous healings.

Now featuring a foreword by Lynne McTaggart, Michael Talbot's The Holographic Universe is a landmark work whose exciting conclusions continue to be proven true by today's most advanced physics, cosmology, and string theory."

Way of Transformation by Karlfried Graf Durckheim
- "Daily life seems to be an obstacle to spiritual growth, but this is only true if one does not know how to use it.' Many people today are looking for new ways to escape the increasing suppression of their essential being by the modern way of life. The general interest in yoga and Zen Buddhism is evidence of a new awareness of the need for spiritual well-being. The way of transformation will help all genuine seekers, regardless of their creed or religion, and will open new doors to the freedom of transcendental reality which lies within our worldly existence."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:46 am 
Jung

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
- "In his landmark bestseller The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell redefined how we understand the world around us. Now, in Blink, he revolutionizes the way we understand the world within. Blink is a book about how we think without thinking, about choices that seem to be made in an instant-in the blink of an eye-that actually aren't as simple as they seem. Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? How do our brains really work-in the office, in the classroom, in the kitchen, and in the bedroom? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others?In Blink we meet the psychologist who has learned to predict whether a marriage will last, based on a few minutes of observing a couple; the tennis coach who knows when a player will double-fault before the racket even makes contact with the ball; the antiquities experts who recognize a fake at a glance. Here, too, are great failures of "blink": the election of Warren Harding; "New Coke"; and the shooting of Amadou Diallo by police. Blink reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of "thin-slicing"-filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables."

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
- "In this stunning new book, Malcolm Gladwell takes us on an intellectual journey through the world of "outliers"--the best and the brightest, the most famous and the most successful. He asks the question: what makes high-achievers different?

His answer is that we pay too much attention to what successful people are like, and too little attention to where they are from: that is, their culture, their family, their generation, and the idiosyncratic experiences of their upbringing. Along the way he explains the secrets of software billionaires, what it takes to be a great soccer player, why Asians are good at math, and what made the Beatles the greatest rock band.

Brilliant and entertaining, Outliers is a landmark work that will simultaneously delight and illuminate."

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
- "In this first new and totally revised edition of the 150,000-copy underground bestseller, The E-Myth, Michael Gerber dispels the myths surrounding starting your own business and shows how commonplace assumptions can get in the way of running a business. He walks you through the steps in the life of a business from entrepreneurial infancy, through adolescent growing pains, to the mature entrepreneurial perspective, the guiding light of all businesses that succeed. He then shows how to apply the lessons of franchising to any business whether or not it is a franchise. Finally, Gerber draws the vital, often overlooked distinction between working on your business and working in your business. After you have read The E-Myth Revisited, you will truly be able to grow your business in a predictable and productive way."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am 
Lao Tzu

I'll add a couple of books that have been very influential for me. The ideas and perspective found in these books resonate with AI philosophies.

But, this are not really known as self-improvement books, nor even are many who seek self-development very aware of them. But, they are powerful books.

Antoine de St. Exupery, The Wisdom of the Sands

This is a novel about a Chieftain who has taken over his father's civilization. His goal is to help is civilization thrive, giving his people opportunities to live meaningfully. It is written in short parables and does not really have any kind of "story." It's much like Thus Spake Zarathustra in that sense. The book is a mind blower. Themes include: Duty, Freedom, Creativity, and Death (as perfection).

Lee Thayer's Pieces: Towards a Revisioning of Communication/Life

This is a collection of essays written by communication theorist Lee Thayer. He known today as premier life coach for CEO's. The overall perspective of the entire work can be summed up as: "As we communicate, so shall we be." The essay "tropes and things" is the one article that sent me into something of a psychotic break that lasted for about 6 mo...caution the ideas here might fuck with your identity, and sense of reality. But all in a good way. This book, in my opinion, works to remove all the bullshit you've ever thought about communication, reality, life, you name it.

Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death, The Life and Death of Meaning, and Escape from Evil

These books offer a comprehensive theory of human action. Why we do what we do. It is rooted in Becker's ideas about death anxiety. Basically, human beings have a desire to "make something of themselves" in an attempt to prove to themselves that they "matter" so that one's ultimate death will be meaningful. Each book addresses this from a slightly different angle: Life and Death looks at "self-esteem." Denial of Death looks at "heroism." and Escape from Evil looks at "guilt."

Dr. Corey Anton's Sources of Significance

These are all more academic style books, many of which (exception of Becker) are never ever close to being read by the general public. Anton's book is no different. It is the most recent book on my list, published in 2011. Dr. Anton is my academic mentor, friend, colleague and this work examines in greater depth the ideas of St. Exupery, Ernest Becker, and Kenneth Burke in an attempt to show how gratitude and forgiveness are vital sources of meaning in a world driven by shallow individualism. This is a philosophical work, and you have to be in to reading this style to enjoy it, in my opinion.

Each one of these books is about inner game and much, much more. They are not at all anything practical in the sense of offering any kind of system of steps for development. They are more like wisdom that either will work for you or not, depending on where you are at any point in your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:39 am 
Jung

Awesome man, i'll check those out as they sound REALLY interesting.

Board index : THE LOUNGE : Inner Game Essentials

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next